Our practice respects your right to privacy. We realise that it is important that you understand why we collect details about your health, as well as how this information is used at our practice and to whom this information may be disclosed.
The policy of our practice is to follow these procedures:
- The information collected about you is used for the purpose of providing treatment to you. Personal information such as your name, address and health insurance details will be used for addressing accounts to you, as well as processing payments and writing to you about any issues affecting your treatment.
- We may disclose your health information to other health care professionals, or require it from them if, in our judgement, that is necessary in the context of your treatment. In that even, disclosure of your personal details will be minimised whereever possible.
- We may also use parts of your health information for research purposes, in study groups or at seminars as this may provide benefits to you or other patients. Should that happen, your personal identity will not be disclosed without your conesent.
- Your patient history, treatment records, x-rays and any other material relevant to your treatment will be kept in our practice. You may inspect, or request copies of, your treatment records at any time, or seek an explanation from the orthodontist. You may not remove any documents from the record. If you want copies, a nominal fee will apply. If you request an explanation of your records or a written summary, our usual fee applies.
- Parents and guardians need to satisfy us of their identity and their legal realtionship to you before we can release any records to them. If we think you are of the age of giving legal consent, then we will need to have written permission from you before we release any records to a parent or guardian, even though we are satisfied of their identity and relationship to you.
- If any of the information we have about you is inaccurate, you may ask us to alter our records accordingly.
As part of our commitment to preserving the confidentiality of the information contained in your record we advise that strict secure storage policies are observed in this practice. Your electronic records are accessible only be staff of this practice and are protected by a security password. Your paper records are kept in secure filing cabinets and are accessible only by practice staff. Each member of staff is well versed in the principles and importance of maintaining confidentiality.